Are you new to cooking, or simply looking to learn some easy, standby recipes? We’ve rounded up 5 basic recipes every beginner should know. These simple recipes will help give you a base for fundamental knowledge in the kitchen. From here, the cooking world is your oyster! Channel your inner chef and have some fun.
1. Cheesy and Vegetable Omelet: Rise and shine! This cheesy, vegetable omelet is a warm, nourishing way to start your day. Remember, practice makes perfect, and in no time you’ll master this time-honored breakfast.
2. Perfect Grilled Cheese: The classic grilled cheese sandwich is a delicious option for a super-quick lunch or dinner. Our trick here is to use mayonnaise on the outside of the bread for a toasty, crisp bite. Try experimenting with cheeses to find your favorite combination – we recommend Havarti and cheddar! Pair your grilled cheese with a tossed salad for a complete meal.
3. Simple Roast Chicken: Mastering roast chicken opens you to a world of possibilities when it comes to cooking. When you have this recipe down, there are many options for meals you can create from it. Of course, roast chicken is delicious on its own, but try using it in soups, salads and quesadillas. Make this on a Sunday for meals throughout the week!
4. Oven Roasted Vegetables: Need something to go with that chicken? Try our simple oven-roasted vegetables. The key to great roasted veggies is to cut them all to the same thickness, so they cook evenly in the oven. Also, note that root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots and beets take longer to cook than cruciferous veggies like cauliflower and broccoli. Always add your root veggies halfway through so they all finish at the same time.
5. Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies: To satisfy a sweet tooth, there really is no better choice than fresh-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies. Impress your friends and family (and yourself!) with a batch made from scratch. Make sure you have parchment paper or purchase a silicone baking mat to ensure your cookies bake more evenly.
Following simple recipes makes the world of cooking really quite easy! It takes out the guesswork, teaches you what flavors complement each other, and creates confidence when your meal turns out perfectly. Try your hand at these classic home-cooked foods, build your kitchen portfolio and, most of all, have fun!
Find more recipe inspiration here.