Prep Shrimp Like a Pro
Created by: Kroger Discover Fresh
Don’t skimp on the shrimp! Whether fresh or frozen, try to avoid shrimp that has been peeled and deveined. The shell protects the meat and the flavor, but peeling and deveining can be a real challenge. Take these quick tips into consideration before making your next shrimp cocktail.
- If using frozen shrimp, place them a sealed plastic container and place it in the fridge for an overnight thaw.
- To speed up the process, place your shrimp in a colander and run cold water over it for about 2 minutes.
- Avoid thawing in warm or room temperature water.
- To cook, boil a large saucepan of lightly salted water. Add the shrimp and cook for 1-3 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque and pink. Then drain and rinse the shrimp in a colander under cold running water.
- Shrimp can be boiled, grilled, steamed, sautéed, baked, deep-fried, or simply served cold. They can be cooked and served with or without the shell and vein. Feel free to mix and match to please all of your guests!