Italian Sausage Chili Bowls
Here’s a delicious Italian twist to a favorite American dish. Italian sausage chili served over pasta with tons of toppings makes a delicious chili mac bowl. When possible, consider cooking with organically grown and responsibly raised ingredients to benefit the quality of your meal and the health of our planet.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Serves 6
- 1 lb. mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 can (28 oz.) Take Root Organics™ Diced Tomatoes, not drained
- 1 can (8 oz.) Take Root Organics™ Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasonings
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, plus more for topping
- 12 oz. uncooked rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions
Topping Options: Shredded mozzarella cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, chopped basil, diced red or green bell pepper, red pepper flakes, splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it into smaller pieces using a wooden spoon. Drain any excess fat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and red pepper flakes; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1 cup water, beans and Italian seasonings. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover and simmer on medium-high 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in basil. Toss hot cooked pasta with 1 cup chili. Divide pasta among bowls, top with chili and serve with toppings, as desired.
One Pan Beef Lasagna
This comforting, three-cheese lasagna is made all in 1 pan which makes it easy to make and clean up on a weeknight! When possible, consider cooking with organically grown and responsibly raised ingredients to benefit the quality of your meal and the health of our planet.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 40 minutes | Servings 6
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 can (28 oz.) Take Root Organics™ Crushed Tomatoes
- 8 oz. uncooked lasagna noodles (about 10), broken up into 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. (If you'd like to brown lasagna under the broiler before serving, use an oven-safe skillet.) Add beef, onion, salt, garlic and oregano; cook 5 to 6 minutes, breaking the meat up into small pieces, until beef is cooked through. Add vinegar and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and 3 cups water; bring to simmer. Stir in noodles and simmer 20 to 25 minutes over medium heat, until noodles are tender, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon frequently to prevent sticking and making sure the noodles are always submerged in sauce.
- If broiling, preheat broiler. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup of ricotta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Use a small spoon to dollop remaining 1/2 cup ricotta over the lasagna (do not stir). Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan; cover and let sit until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. If broiling, place under the broiler uncovered about 4 minutes until cheese is melted and golden-brown in spots. Sprinkle with basil and serve.