Classic Creamy Eggnog
Creamy eggnog is a holiday must! This recipe keeps it family-friendly by skipping the booze, but you can always add a shot of bourbon or rum to individual serving glasses if desired.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 large eggs, divided
- 1⁄2 cup + 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- Place 5 egg yolks in a heat-safe mixing bowl. With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat egg yolks until light and pale. Slowly add ½ cup sugar, beating until sugar dissolves.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, cream, nutmeg and salt. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat.
- Slowly add about ½ of the milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly, to temper. Pour egg mixture into remaining milk mixture in the saucepan.
- Heat mixture over medium heat until temperature reaches 160°F. Stir in vanilla, strain mixture and cool. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Shortly before serving, in a clean mixing bowl beat remaining 5 egg whites and 2 tablespoons of sugar to stiff peaks.
- Whisk egg white mixture into cool egg yolk mixture. Serve chilled.
- Refrigerate leftovers.