Grilled Summer Veggie Orecchiette Pasta
Grilling brings out the natural flavor of seasonal produce, while toasted orecchiette adds enough richness for this salad to work as a main course — or even just as a side. Customize this hearty salad to your taste by substituting other summer veggies.
Serves: 12Prep: 10 minutesCook: 1 hour 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 pound dried orecchiette pasta
- 1 ear sweet corn
- 2 cups green string beans
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan and add the dried orecchiette. Allow the pasta to toast, stirring every few minutes, until it starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a rolling boil in a large saucepan on a separate burner while the pasta is toasting.
- Transfer approximately 4 quarts (or two-thirds) of the water into the saucepan with the pasta. Cook until the orecchiette is tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl. Leave the remaining 2 quarts of water to simmer.
- Peel back the outer husk from the ear of corn to expose the silk, leaving the husk connected to the ear at its base. Remove the silk, then peel the husk back over the ear. Boil the corn in the remaining 2 quarts of salted water for 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat the green beans with 1 tablespoon olive oil and place them on a grilling tray. Grill the beans over medium-high heat until they are slightly charred, about 10 minutes, stirring regularly to avoid burning. Set aside to cool.
- Grill the red pepper until the skin is charred, about 10-15 minutes, turning it every 2-3 minutes. Set aside until it's cool enough to handle.
- Grill the boiled corn until lightly charred, approximately 15-20 minutes, turning it every 5 minutes to prevent burning. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the grilled green beans into 1” pieces and add them to the mixing bowl with the orecchiette.
- Remove the charred skin from the grilled red pepper, using the blunt edge of a knife to scrape away the skin. Slice the pepper in half and remove the seeds, then cut it into bite-sized pieces. Add the pieces to the mixing bowl with the pasta.
- Use a paring knife or corn peeler to remove the corn kernels from the ear. Add the kernels to the mixing bowl with the pasta.
- Whisk the remaining olive oil, lemon juice and basil, then add the vinaigrette to the pasta and veggies. Stir to combine. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.