Smoked Turkey Breast with Cranberry Pan Sauce
Smoky and savory flavors are balanced out by the sweetness of cranberries in this tasty turkey dish.
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 3 hoursTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 7 pounds bone-in turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons Kroger® Light Brown Sugar
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 6 tablespoons Kroger® Unsalted Butter, softened and divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups wood chips, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup Kroger® Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoons Kroger® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons vermouth
- 1/4 cup Kroger® Premium Sweetened Dried Cranberries
- Pat turkey dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and ¼ cup softened butter. Lift the edge of the turkey skin and use your hands to loosen without tearing the skin. Spread seasoned butter under the skin.
- For a charcoal grill, place a foil pan in the center under where the turkey will rest on the grill. Light coals. When hot, arrange coals around pan. For a gas grill, only heat one side of the grill. Place a foil pan under the grill on the unlit side.
- Drop the soaked wood chips on the hot coals or wrap in foil packet, poking holes in the top, and place on the hot side of the grill. Pour 1½ cups water into foil pan. Place turkey, skin side up, on grill over foil drip pan.
- Cover grill and smoke for 2½-3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Add additional water to drip pan if it starts to go dry. Add additional unlit coals to charcoal after the first hour or as needed.
- Make the pan sauce. Pour the drippings into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Skim off the fat. Add enough chicken broth to make 2 cups. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in drippings, vermouth, dried cranberries, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with sliced turkey. Refrigerate any leftovers.