Sweet Corn Tamales
Ideal as an appetizer or a post-feast dessert, these sweet corn tamales pair perfectly with a cup of homemade Mexican-style hot chocolate.
Serves: 20Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hour 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 4 cups instant corn masa flour for tamales
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Kroger Brand Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup lard, room temperature
- 1 can (14.75 oz.) creamed corn
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 20 corn husks, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- Kitchen twine, cut into 40 strips (or corn strips made from husks soaked in water for 10 minutes)
- In bowl, mix together instant corn tamale masa flour, baking powder, sugar, evaporated milk, lard and creamed corn until masa is well combined and wet but not sticky.
- Mix in corn kernels until evenly dispersed.
- In the center of each corn husk, place ¼ cup corn masa. Press gently to spread corn dough into a rectangle that runs along the long sides of the husk. Wrap tamales, overlapping husk sides, until completely enclosed. Tie ends with kitchen twine or strips of corn husk.
- In deep steamer, add water to just below the bottom of the rack. To prevent water from touching the tamales, cover rack with a layer of husks cut into pieces.
- Place tamales in steamer standing upright next to each other. Cover steamer and cook on medium heat 1 hour 15 minutes or until pasteles are firm. Serve warm.